Unoccupied Property Insurance
(Residential Property)

Our unoccupied property insurance policy for residential property has been designed to meet the needs of property owners who own unoccupied property and need either short term house insurance or longer term unoccupied property insurance. For unoccupied commercial property insurance, click here. There are many reasons why a property may be unoccupied and we are able to cater for all - whether in probate, pending sale or let or undergoing refurbishment or conversion works.

It may be that you have or are about to inherit a property and need short term house insurance or you may own a property abroad and spend lengthy periods at your overseas property and need unoccupied home insurance or you might be refurbishing the property - all of these scenarios are catered for under our Property Protection unoccupied property policy. The cover provided does vary and is dependent on the individual circumstances. We do ask that you inspect the property regularly and we will also ask that you turn the water off at the mains and drain the system down or keep your heating on during the winter months.

If you decide to let the property there is no need to cancel the policy, we can simply change the policy over to a Landlord insurance providing the widest possible cover and in the majority of cases you will receive a refund of premium.

You will also receive a refund of premium if you cancel your unoccupied property insurance or short term house insurance policy if the cancellation is within the first eight months of the current period of insurance.

Click here to get a tailored quote for unoccupied property insurance. Or, if you would prefer to discuss your individual requirements with a member of our underwriting team, you can call us on 020 8656 2544 and we will be happy to help.

Click here for a standard unoccupied property insurance policy summary

Benefits included as standard for unoccupied property insurance for damage caused by the following:

  • Fire, smoke, earthquake, explosion, lightning
  • Aircraft and other flying objects dropped from them
  • Riot, civil commotion, strikes, labour, political disturbances
  • Impact by vehicles, trains, animals
  • Breakage or collapse of radio or TV aerials, fixed satellite dishes, their fittings or masts
  • Falling trees or branches, telegraph poles or lampposts
  • Theft/attempted theft
  • Malicious acts or vandalism
  • Flood
  • Escape of water or oil
  • Storm
  • £5,000,000 Property Owners Liability

Plus the following extra benefits:

  • Loss of rent or alternative accommodation
  • Emergency access
  • Accidental breakage of fixed glass, sanitaryware, ceramic glass in cooker hobs and solar panels
  • Landscaped gardens
  • Trace and access
  • Unauthorised use of services
  • Unauthorised alterations
  • Fire extinguisher expenses
  • Accidental damage to CCTV systems

Please note that cover may be restricted in certain circumstances such as properties undergoing building/refurbishment/conversion works.

Related links: Landlord insurance Commercial property insurance Holiday home insurance UK Second home insurance Flats, apartments, maisonettes Unoccupied commercial property insurance Portfolio/multi property policies

Get a free quote

Andrew Copeland
Insurance Consultants Ltd

Tel: 020 8656 2544
Fax: 020 8655 1271


Andrew Copeland Insurance Consultants Ltd and
Andrew Copeland International Ltd are authorised and regulated by the FCA